Name:
Location: Nisshin, Aichi, Japan

Very fun group pf students at Nagoya University Of Commerce and Business Administration.

15 July 2006

Last weekend I enjoyed the chance to finally visit a Japanese surf beach. As I stood for the first time on the Pacific's western shore, I recalled my first glimpse of the eastern shore in Cannon Beach, Oregon. That was quite a few years ago, and many miles removed. It was nice to literally see something for a completely new perspective. I had watched the sun set from America's west coast, and now I saw it rise over the same ocean. As I stood there admiring the view, I started to muse...
Everyone has their preferred method of relieving stress. My mother wakes early to reflect and pray. My father relaxes to the sound of babbling mountain streams. I have friends who will mercilessly beat a punching bag, and others who practice yoga while meditating on peaceful thoughts. For me its always been the sea. Whether I am submerged in it or merely watching from the sidelines, the sea puts me at peace. I find great comfort in the knowledge that as wave crashes, dissipates and returns to the sea, another is following just behind it. As long as the world has existed this has been the case, and it will remain, I guess, until the earth is no more. Its a fascinating and largely unmatched example of dependability, and the thought is soothing to me in the midst of this unpredictable life. But there is something even more interesting about this pattern.
Day after day, year after year, and age after age the waves relentlessly assault the shore. All day and all night, without exception, untold tons of water slam into the sands, yet the sands remain. It is impressive, and reassuring, to see that the sands can withstand this endless barrage of crashing waves without conceding an inch. But while the beaches continually withstand the might of the sea, a barefooted child can leave a footprint. An idle hand can easily dig through the sand, but the mighty Pacific Ocean can't move it. I won't rant about the philosophical lessons one might draw from this amazing natural occurrence, but if we stop to reflect on it I think we can all see the parallels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home