Name:
Location: Nisshin, Aichi, Japan

Very fun group pf students at Nagoya University Of Commerce and Business Administration.

10 December 2006

Imagination



"Let us go forth, the tellers of tales, and seize whatever prey
the heart long for, and have no fear. Everything exists, everything is
true, and the earth is only a little dust under our feet."

I randomly stumbled onto this quote, from William Butler Yeats, recently, and it has inspired me to explore a new thread of literature. Beginning with Yeats' "The Celtic Twilight", from which this quote was drawn, I have started reading more fanciful stories of myth and folklore. It is really a fascinating genre that can open one's eyes to various cultures. As we age we tend to lose our youthful imagination, but I am increasingly inclined to recapture mine. From Paul Bunyan to Irish banshees, and from African bogeymen to Japanese raccoon dogs, I am really interested in learning more about legends from around the world. If anyone reads this blog and has any books to recommend, I would appreciate it. For the really adventurous spirit, I encourage you to write a story that might help me re-ignite my imagination.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I recommend checking out some Joseph Campbell. He compares & contrast myths from all over the world, and he was George Lucus' inspiration for Star Wars. Really amazing.

12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian,
Call me back.

We were at the Christmas party last night, I had crappy reception on my phone.

We'll be in town the 26th - 28th.

Charlie

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home